Thursday 9 October 2014

Universal Design for Learning - Katie Novak

Today's key note speaker at ULearn14 left me with questions about my practice.  Just what we want our keynote speakers to do.

When she shared her story about a teacher taking her aside and telling her she was wasting her ability and then putting in the effort to teach her how to learn, I had to ask myself am I having such an effect on children in my class? Then I needed to ask am I putting in the follow through with children? I am possibly being harsh on myself but it is so easy to get busy with 'stuff' that needs to be done and forget to apply energy to what matters. - Time for a time spent audit.

The modelling of feedback with the children is a practical technique I will take away from the session.  Yes I currently use different formats to collect feedback, self and peer assessments. However there is a lack of depth that I think the explicit modelling will help.

The biggest area to investigate though is Jean Anyon's work. Working in a low decile school with several high needs children in both my class, and in the team, it is very important that the 'hidden curriculum' is empowering. I have taught with teachers who have a deficit mind set and that is very damaging, but Anyon's work suggests a more subtle application of expectations. This will be something for our team to explore.

While these questions about practice are probably not what Katie Novak would have thought she was provoking it is what 'shouted' to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment